Since last 15-20 days, the husband and I have been consciously trying to eat clean and healthy. Of course, we have our cheat days, but overall our meals consists of salads, fruit bowls, smoothies or vegetable juices. Today was one of those days that just tipped the scale. I was in no mood to put one more bite of salad into my mouth. I wanted some soul food, some comfort food. My longing for home cooked Indian food was growing stronger. But also something that could be ready in less time. So I decided to make Dal Fry. To add a healthy touch to the dal, I decided to add some Kale in it. Thus came into existence, Kale Dal. The husband had the dal with quinoa and I just had a big bowl of the dal itself. It taste amazing !
This Kale Dal is delicious and healthy. It is a simple dish with very few ingredients, but has a very flavorful taste. A hint of garam masala and the tadka(tempering) with ghee(clarified butter) and garlic makes all the difference. For the dals, I used a mixture of urad dal(black gram-skin removed), masoor dal, tuvar dal(split pigeon pea) and split yellow mung dal in equal amounts.
You can use any other greens instead of Kale like Spinach, Swiss Chard or Collard Greens or any other leafy greens you like.
I hope you guys enjoy this dal as much as I did.
- 2 cups Dal mixture (urad dal. masoor dal, tuvar dal, split yellow mung dal in equal amounts)
- 2 tomatoes – roughly chopped
- 1-2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1 cup kale, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tbsp garam masala
- salt, to taste
For the tempering:
- 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 2-3 cloves garlic – finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- pinch of garam masala
- First of all, you need to wash the dal and soak it for 3-4 hours.
- Once soaked, pressure cook the dal with 1.5-2 cups water for 4-5 whistles. The dal should be completely cooked and mushy.
- Now in a pan, add 2 tsp oil. Once its hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaves and chopped green chilies. Stir for a second and add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes until they are completely mushy.
- Now add in the cooked dal and mix well.
- Put in the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix everything properly. Add in water if you feel to loosen the mixture.
- After cooking for 3-4 minutes, add in the chopped kale and mix again.
- Let the dal cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- For the tempering, pour ghee in a small pan. Once its hot, add in chopped or minced garlic, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Let the garlic cook for about 2 minutes. Drizzle the tempering(tadka) over the dal.
- Serve with hot rice or quinoa, or eat the hot dal as a soup.