If you belong to Gujarat, you know that “khaman-dhokla” is not a thing, its only either “khaman” or “dhokla”. We love our khamans and our dhoklas very much, but vaati dal na khaman is the most that I devour every single time with little sev (chickpea noodles). Khaman is a farsaan (savory bite size), which you can get in two different types. Nylon khamans are made from chickpea flour, and vaati dal na khamans are made soaked and grinded split Bengal gram. You can make this amazing made ahead for parties, picnics or any gatherings and I am sure everyone will love it at your party! Do try it and let me know what you think about this fluffy khaman recipe.
- 2 cups chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- lemon juice
- 2 tbsp green chili paste
- eno (fruit salt)
For the tempering:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- coriander, chopped (for garnish)
- Take the chana dal and wash it properly with warm water 2-3 times. Soak the chana dal in warm water for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Grind the chana dal to a rough paste adding little water as required.
- Add in the green chili paste, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, lemon juice and mix everything. Keep aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Now in an idli maker or steamer, grease the flat plate with a little oil. Heat the steamer a little before starting to make khaman.
- In a small bowl, take 2-3 big spoonful of the khaman batter. Add in a little water and eno and mix to form a lightly runny batter.
- Pour the batter into the plate and place into the steamer. Let it cook for about 12-15 minutes on medium flame.
- Poke a knife at the center to see f it is cooked. If the knife comes out clean, the khaman is cooked. Remove the plate from the steamer and let it sit for a while.
- For the tempering, in a small pan heat some oil. Once the oil is hot, add in mustard seeds and sesame seeds and let them splutter.
- Cut the khaman into squares and drizzle the tempering all over. Garnish with chopped coriander and sev and enjoy with hot masala tea !