Veg Frankie, as it is famous in India, is a vegetable wrap and is also similar to one more Indian specialty called Kathi Roll. “Frankies” are wraps with different fillings available on the streets of Mumbai. They are the perfect on-the-go meals for the busy Mumbaikars (people of Mumbai). I had my very first taste of a frankie at a street stall outside Vile Parle station. It was a Schezwan Cheese Frankie, spicy masala with oodles of cheese coming through, filled with sliced red onions and potato mixture. It just hits the right taste buds and leaves you wanting for more!
We used to get these frankies outside a grocery store near our school, and while coming back from school sometimes Mom and I would stop there for an evening snack. My mom makes this veggie frankie at home with two different fillings – one is a potato and veggie filling which is my favorite. And the other one is a paneer filling – Chinese style. She makes it with a vegetable mixture and it tastes amazing. My mom is staying with me right now and she so lovingly made some for me.
Here is the step-by-step process of making an amazing veg frankie.
For the filling:
- 3-4 medium boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced or grated carrots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 tbsp green chili paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt, as per taste
- 2 tsp oil
- tomato ketchup, as required
For the dough:
- 2 cups maida (refined and bleached wheat flour)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp oil
- water, as required
- First of all we need to make the dough for the frankie/wraps.
- Take the maida in a large bowl, add in salt and oil. Now knead the dough using water. Add water little by little as required.
- Form a medium firm dough and cover it with a wet cloth and leave it to rest.
- Now we make the filling. Heat some oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onions (leave some for later) and the bell peppers. This will cook in 2-3 minutes. Leave the onions and bell peppers a little bit crunchy.
- Once the onions and peppers are cooked, add in the cabbage and carrots.
- Stir for 2 minutes and add green chili paste, turmeric powder and salt. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in the mashed potatoes and mix. It will take 4-5 minutes to cook everything.
- The next step is to assemble everything into a frankie.
- Firstly take a golf ball sized dough and roll it into a roti in a circular shape.
- Heat a flat pan and place the rolled roti on to it. Cook the roti on both sides applying little oil.
- Once the roti is cooked, now comes the filling.
- Lower the heat on the pan, and leave the roti on the pan. Smear the middle section of the roti with tomato ketchup or red chili sauce.
- Place two spoonful of the filling on to the roti. Top it with some sliced onions.
- Now fold both ends of the roti on to the middle section and roast it for a minute or two on the pan on a medium heat.
- There you are, your Veg Frankie is ready to enjoy !
- You can use whole wheat flour to make the rotis instead of maida.
- Keep the rotis ready beforehand and assemble them whenever you want to eat.
- Option – Skip making the rotis entirely and use ready-made tortillas instead.
- You can add in any choice of vegetables in the filling.