I am a true blue Indian at heart. My heart always longs for a delicious home cooked Indian meal. I crave for chole bhature, pav bhaji, sev puri, bhel puri, vada pav and the list goes on and on.
After coming to US, and experimenting with various types of cuisines here, Mexican cuisine has become one of my favorites. I absolutely enjoy the Tacos, enchiladas and quesadillas we get here. I usually try to recreate things I eat in a restaurant at home and experiment with different ingredients. Sometimes I just wing it and go with the flow while cooking.
The story about these veggie quesadillas goes something like this. Last year, we visited a cousin and she took us to this amazing Mexican restaurant. I ordered the Veggie Quesadilla which my cousin suggested. I fell in love with the quesadilla. They were the most amazing I’d have ever eaten. The raw jalapenos on top of the filling and cheese give a nice zing to the quesadilla, and that what took it to another level for me. So this is how I tried to recreate it at home.
- 4-6 large tortillas
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 2 zucchini sliced
- 4-5 mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese ( I used Mexican blend, you can use any)
- 2-3 jalapenos sliced
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- salt, as per taste
- First we prepare the filling. Heat olive oil in a pan. Add in the onions, broccoli and bell peppers and cook on a medium to high flame.
- Next add in the salt and taco seasoning once the vegetables start to turn soft. Don’t put too much salt as the seasoning already contains salt.
- Add in zucchini and mushrooms and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Don’t let the vegetables turn into a mush.
- Now we assemble the quesadilla. In another large pan, place the tortilla and roast it lightly on both sides.
- Place the filling on one half of the tortilla, some sliced jalapenos and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Fold the tortilla and let it cook for about a min on both sides. You can add oil to pan-fry the tortilla if you want.
- Cut it into pieces and serve it with sour cream and guacamole.
- You can use any vegetables you like in the filling.